Sunday, February 03, 2008

The game or the commercials?

Which do you prefer on Super Bowl Sunday?

We're subjected to two weeks of intricate analysis...We interrupt this blog to announce that Tom Brady's wearing a boot!...with all the talking heads practically having an orgasm about every little story...To confirm our earlier reports, Eli Manning is indeed Peyton Manning's younger brother!... and when it's all over, the game is a blowout and all we have to show for it is the extra 7.84 lbs of Chex Mix, pigs in a blanket and chips and dip that's stuck to our ribs. No wonder there are so many obese people in the United States.

On the other hand, we have the commercials, which, as I explained a few days ago, have seemed to garner just about as much attention. I've even had my mom call me before kick-off to ask me which commercials were made by the company I work for. Probably so she can show off to her friends. And just like the game, many of the commercials fail to deliver.

So, in homage to day that rarely ends up living up to the hype, I share with you Gawker's list of the 25 Most Memorable Super Bowl Ads.

Enjoy - it'll probably be more entertaining than anything else on TV today.

-JT

3 comments:

i'm talking louder said...

Ok, so the game was actually good - at least the last ten minutes.

But the commercials still kind of sucked.

-JT

i'm talking louder said...

I didn't see a single commercial that was memorable. Is this normal?
-SM

i'm talking louder said...

Yeah, with each year, the commercials have gotten less memorable.

That's not to say that all of them were bad - it's just hard to live up to the hype. But I did think the Coke commercial with the Macy's floats and Charlie Brown ending up with the Coke was pretty good.

-JT