Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Salon Receptionists

Today I decided to check out the adjoining Aveda salon at my gym. I was interested in getting an appointment for a haircut/style/color (and the benefit of doing this at the gym is that I get 2 hours of child care!) After consulting briefly with the stylist, I decided to book an appointment for tomorrow. I whipped out my gym membership card; upon handing it to the receptionist, I guess I must have flashed her some horrifying jagged cuticle or unkempt nailbed (gang signs inside a spa). She gasped in horror, dropped the card, grasped my hands in hers and said, "Oh, hon (the condescending "hon," not the sugary sweet diner-style "hon"), you have to get a manicure along with that haircut tomorrow."

I wasn't sure whether or not to feel insulted or sold to, but I politely smiled and said, "No, thank you. I have a 2-year old, which generally means that I've given up regular shaving, plucking, waxing, and on odd days, flossing. And once in a while, I can even go for three days without showering. So really, a manicure is the lowest on my priority list these days."

She just stood there, jaw on the floor. It was probably one of my best comebacks ever.

3 comments:

i'm talking louder said...

That is so funny - I wish I could have seen her reaction as you said that.

When you go back in there, ask for yesterday's security tapes so you can get a copy for yourself.

-JT

i'm talking louder said...

I would have said the same thing. And I don't even have a 2-year old.
-10kp

i'm talking louder said...

So, I went home that afternoon and gave myself a quick coat of polish. No harm, no foul the next morning. I don't even think she remembered me. And she didn't look horrified by my digits.
-SM