Friday, April 25, 2008

That Colonel Sanders is one clever fellow

A few years ago, KFC made ad news when they ran a commercial that, when watched on on DVR framb-by-frame, revealed a hidden message that entitled viewers who caught it to get a coupon for a free chicken sandwich. Read an article about it here, and view the TV commercial in the article's inset.

Frankly, I thought it was a dumb idea. But that's just me.

Anyway, that wily Colonel is up to his old tricks again. As part of a new campaign for their $0.99 Chicken Snacker, they are running ads in magazines, in-store and on TV with a hidden image. If viewers find that hidden image, they can go to the KFC site and redeem their find for a free coupon for said sandwich. See if you can find the image in the ad below that's running in restaurants:


Again, I think it's a dumb idea. It's too gimmicky. But it didn't stop me from searching to try and find the image. And I couldn't find it. So I showed my (non-gay) partner at work, who plays the art director (pictures) to my role as a copywriter (words), and he found it in about 4 seconds. Of course he did.

Leave it to the good Colonel to make me look bad.

-JT

3 comments:

i'm talking louder said...

Um, I found it in about 3 seconds. Can I take this to KFC now? And what do I get for beating your non-gay partner at this game? :)
-10kp

i'm talking louder said...

Nice job. I think you have to register online on their site to be able to redeem for a coupon. So if you want to be on their mailing list just to get a free sandwich that costs a buck, go for it.

And as far as beating my non-gay partner at this game, I'm impressed. Maybe you should become an art director. Or a professional "Where's Waldo?" locator.

-JT

i'm talking louder said...

My brother in law would be all about this. He's the one sending in contest forms and entering sweepstakes. And then he wonders why he gets so much junk mail.

I don't see it. What am I looking for?
-SM