Thursday, July 10, 2008

What a homer

Up to now, I've thought that the entire Chicago White Sox ad campaign was stupid - and that has nothing to do with me being a huge Cubs fan. It has to do with the fact that the ads, both on tv and outdoor, have been cheesy. And that some don't even make sense in a baseball world. But as much as I hate the White Sox, I can't help but laugh at the latest commercial from the campaign that's airing in Chicago.

Anyway, this new commercial stars A.J Pierzynski, the notoriously annoying and hard-headed White Sox catcher. It involves the cardboard signs that are prevalent throughout the entire campaign (which is a big part of what I think makes the campaign dumb). In the spot, Pierzynski's being told to bunt by both his third base coach, who he shakes off, and then by manager Ozzie Guillen, who he also defies.

But then, the camera cuts to a fan in the stands holding up a "Bunt" sign, and it's none other than Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, who's never hidden his love of the White Sox. When Pierzynski sees the order from the Mayor, this time he obliges and puts down a bunt. It's funny. It's unexpected. And it shows who Chicago's boss really is. It also marks the first time Daley, who I happen to be a big fan of for what he's done for this city, has ever appeared in a commercial that wasn't political.

Youtube won't allow me to post it anywhere, so click here if you'd like to watch it. Even this Cubs fan has to admit that it's good.

-JT

P.S. I know there were questions as to whether this blog was dead. I thought about it, and I intend to continue contributing. I hope the same goes for 10-key princess and SM.

1 comment:

i'm talking louder said...

It's like feast or famine around here. Nothing for over a week, then 5 posts in 2 days?

We need some consistency around here.

-SM