Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mini Clubbing

I recently discovered that if you own a Mini Cooper, you can join an exclusive owner's club, which features up-to-date information on nationwide Mini events. I happened to be in Chicago yesterday to witness one of these events firsthand, the "Mini Takes the States 2008 - Chicago." I was forcibly stuck watching probably 300+ Minis Cooper-vaning up to Wisconsin's "Road America" race track.

While outwardly I'm bitter about having to yield to the parade of Minis, deep down, it made me secretly want to be part of a cool car club. It was actually pretty impressive to see how each owner personalized their cars and made them unique. Unfortunately, they don't have a club for such mainstream cars as the Honda Civic or Toyota Rav 4.

What a brilliant way to drive up demand for their product. Props to the marketing department at headquarters. They actually made me want one of these for a day. (Incidentally, I did see a zipcar Mini drive by. So somebody actually did just get one for the day. I guess that's one way of feeling like an insider.)

-SM

1 comment:

i'm talking louder said...

That's pretty cool, but unfortunately, I don't own a car. I wonder if there's a Specialized bicycle club.

Or I guess if I really wanted to participate, I could have reserved a Zipcar for the day.

-JT