Friday, May 16, 2008

Now It All Makes Sense

I was 14 when I had my first boyfriend. We'll call him "Michael." This wasn't middle school stuff. This was summer-after-middle-school seriousness. We held hands. We went to dances. We ate lunch together. We hung out after school. We went to the library. We went to a couple of GOP events together with our parents in 92. We were in love. Until we broke up 4 months later. We hardly talked after that. We graduated, and off he went to USC.

We never kissed. And the whole time, I was like, what the hell? Why won't he just kiss me? Well, today I got my answer.

Out of the blue, I got an e-mail from a high school friend who told me that she went to his wedding last November. Yes, Michael got married. To a guy. In southern California.

Now I don't know how legitimate this wedding was, since it was only yesterday that the California Supreme Court announced its decision to overturn the state's ban on gay marriage. But I have no doubt that Michael and his partner will seek to legalize whatever union they participated in... as soon as possible. Which looks like it'll be mid-June.

I love it when things come full circle - 15 years later. I guess Michael isn't affiliated with the Republican party anymore, huh?

-10-key princess

1 comment:

i'm talking louder said...

Oh, that's terrible! If it's any consolation, my high school senior year boyfriend also came out of the closet. But I just said to myself, "It's about time!"
-SM